‘Tis the season to be giving… But what should that look like? I know a lot of you are super conscientious and are already thinking about shopping for your boyfriend’s [insert your particular gift-giving holiday for the season here] gift. I’m going to give this one to you straight. Here are the “Do’s” and “Do not’s.”
What NOT to get him:
- Anything that is mushy/romantic (no pictures, poetry, jewelry, chocolate, cologne, or love songs). Let him be the romance factory in the relationship.
- Anything that tries to change him or forces your taste on him. (You want him to wear button-down shirts, but he doesn’t like them. You think he looks great in yellow; he knows he looks like Big Bird. You want him to read a book on politics or relationships or business…) You love him for who he is!
- Anything sneaky or manipulative (You want to place reminders of yourself in his home so you buy him throw pillows for his couch, or a blanket for his bed, or plates, or wine glasses, or monogrammed towels, etc. Pictures also fall into this category.) If he loves you, he is already thinking about you all the time. If he isn’t, why are you buying him a gift? Register for all that stuff together when you’re planning the wedding!
- Anything alive.
So what kind of gift DO we give the man in our life? Something he will like, fits his interests, and doesn’t break the bank (no more than $50-100). Here are some ideas:
- Bottle of whisk(e)y (rye, scotch, bourbon), rum, brandy, or tequila
- Small batch craft beer (You can customize a 6-pack in a worthy beer store.)
- Beer recipe book (recipes that mimic famous brews) since everyone is into brewing these days
- A book on a (nonromantic) topic he would enjoy: sports statistics, woodworking, horror or sci-fi novel, a travel book about what/where to eat in Japan because he will be there for business next month (not the honeymoon trip you’re dreaming of), the Civil War, the history of tattoos, etc.
- A hat: baseball, flat cap, winter
- Hoodie/sweater/button-down/polo shirt
- Gloves and/or a scarf (Store-bought. Do not make these.)
- Sweatshirt/T-shirt of his favorite sports team
- A video game
- A DVD (documentary, action movie, superhero movie, Best of xyz Sporting Event) he’d like and some snacks: Sriracha popcorn, pistachios, mixed nuts, pretzels, beef jerky, etc.
- Miracle Berry Tablets and a bag of lemons, limes, and oranges (And I highly recommend some Tums for after he raids the entire fridge.)
- Geeky gadgets or t-shirts
- A fancy straightedge razor
So what do you get the guy…
…you’ve been seeing for a month? Nothing! It’s only been a month! Don’t scare the dude away.
…you’re married to? Anything he would like!